As a school, we want to help enthuse your child about reading! The following recommendations represent a range of genres which we hope will ignite, re-kindle or fan the flames of your child’s desire to read.
We have chosen texts which may be less familiar, from authors with a track record in writing high-quality children’s books. Not all the obvious books are here (we know you’ve ALL heard of J.K. Rowling). However, we hope amongst this selection there will be a book or an author that becomes a family favourite for your child.
Why are we so passionate about reading? In the words of the incomparable Dr Seuss:
“The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”
Battle of the Books is a reading incentive program designed to encourage students to read quality literature.
We are launching this exciting competition to challenge our children to read as many books as they can by the end of the school year.
- All children can enter the Battle of the Books. These books are to be read alongside your usual school reading book.
- Each year group will have a list of books to read throughout the year. You need to read 12 books and write a review by July 2019.
- Some of the books you will be able to find in school and others you will need to borrow from local libraries or from each other.
- As you read each book, an adult will need to sign your green reading record to say you have completed each book. Then PRINT YOUR BOOK REVIEW FORM and complete it – handing it to your teacher. Your teacher will then sign your reading record to show the book
- You can read as many books as you want and take as long as you want. You will be awarded a badge when you complete at least 12 books and book reviews.
- The first three people in each class to complete the challenge will get the chance to make an exciting video review of their favourite book for their class web page.
Reception Class Videos
Year 1 Class Videos
Year 2 Class Videos
Download and Print the Key Stage 1 Book Review Form here
Download and Print the Key Stage 2 Book Review Form here